Wednesday, June 18, 2003

It's come as something of a knock to my self-image to realise that in the last two days I have been doing really dull repetative tasks and doing them pretty well. There's been the usual stock weeding, but also the sending out of letters to the public. Each time some IT person boasts of how you can automate simply everything these days a task comes along that can't be automated. Such as these letters. They need to be sent to a specific sub-set of library users and we can't set the system to generate them automatically, so I had to spend yesterday creating the list of people and today writing their name and addresses on letters to them. At least then I get to pass them on to someone else who then has to copy their name and address on to envelopes in which they will be sent out.

The worrying thing is that it has been a nice task in some ways, requiring as it does pretty much zero brainpower on my part. But to find I'm almost enjoying this, rather than the satisfaction of some hugely complicated enquiry on behalf of a user shows somewhat where my talents really lie.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?