Friday, July 18, 2003

So, I'm back from the party to celebrate the closing of the library for refurbishment. Now, the idea of a room full of librarians may sound like something out of a really bad sitcom (probably starring Ronnie Corbett or something) and even for librarians it sometimes feels like it, but it's not that bad. We get a load of booze in, half the staff end up plastered and end up amusing the other half. The buffet tends to be nice anyway. I wish I'd brought a doggy bag home.

I spent the actual working part of the day rushing around like a mad thing. Basically, I'm convinced that a fair amount of excrement will be hitting rotating blades over the next month and that things will be going in the direction of levitating mammary glands. For a start, the public seem blissfully unaware that we are closing, although in our defense I would say that I think they would have been unaware that we were closing unless we'd personally visited their homes and spent a nice evening with them before mentioning as we were leaving that the library was closing for refurbishment. And although things like stock have been considered where to move them to, little thought has been given to the paperwork. So, all our forms for people who claim that they've returned stuff to the library which is still showing as on their ticket has been left unclaimed. All the paperwork for when people bring in videos and DVDs saying they are unwatchable, no-one has taken that. In the end all I could do is try and ensure that anything that could be considered my responsibility, anything that if something went wrong with it could be considered 'my fault' has been sorted out and dealt with. As Trillian says in Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, "anything you still can't handle is therefore your own problem".

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?