Saturday, August 09, 2003

OK, after the disappointment of having my day-trip cancelled I needed something to cheer me up, so naturally I turn to Julie Burchill. After last weeks alarming touchy-feelly Julie she has thankfully returned her head to it's usual position of her arse to spout a load of crap about reality TV. Apparently, I don't like it because I hate to see the lower classes get above themselves and I feel that they should be where they belong, namely buffing my limo and serving me french toast in bed. It's nothing to do with the pop music being dull twee rubbish or the TV not being that interesting, oh no.

But halfway through Burchill admits that in the case of things like Fame Academy or Pop Stars you end up with a load of stage-school trained kids which, like public school, tends to discriminate towards a particular type of child.

And then, wahey! Her masterstroke of this particular article:

[Richard X says] "We live in quite a trashy world, where the girl from the checkout can be in the top 10." Gosh, Mr X, what would be a non-trashy world? Where the council slut from the checkout would be kept in her place and the top 10 kept safe for classy bints such as Dido?

Without knowing the wider context we've got to go by her word that Richard meant what he said in a disparaging way, based on what he said I was thinking of Suede's 'Trash', or Pulp's 'Mis-shapes'. To extrapolate from that, well, we don't read Julie because we expect her to make logical and rational arguments do we? No, come to a decision, work backwards, insult anyone who disagrees with you. All reasons we love Julie B.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?