Saturday, September 20, 2003

So, had a fun time last night, even though I spent it in Filthpubs. First to the Princess Louise to meet the London-based Bicon-ners, then along the road to The Crown to meet an impromptu gathering of Barbeloids gathered to welcome Boy in a Suitcase to London. He looked like someone out of The Strokes, one of the ones that play the guitar and always seem to have bed hair. Not to say BiaS had bed hair. He had very fine hair from what I remember. Which isn't too much.

I bought some trousers at Kate Lehav last Monday, yeah, more ILLIG gear. Really nice, black trousers with big red Xs over the pockets on each leg. The only drawback is they've got these stupid drawstrings at the bottom of each leg, which are way too long and no matter what I tried, in the end I could only let them trail along the ground. And I was worried on the escalators in the Underground that they'd get caught and I'd have my trousers ripped off me. Tacking them out isn't really much of a solution as then the trousers flap open worryingly. Lozette has told me to get a LJ sorted out post-haste. If I do I'll post a picture of them over there. Lozette, not as tall as you might think from the picture in her LJ. :)

Back on The Strokes, from what I've read so far Paul Morley isn't particularly keen on them in his new book Words and Music. I wasn't even aware he was a music journalist, as he quit writing professionally before I first got my hands dirty on a copy of the Melody Maker, and just thought he was 'that bloke that pimped his opinions on 'I Love 19XX''. It's pretentious in that true music journo style, the first twenty or thirty pages working on a 'one-page readable, two-pages gibberish' ratio before settling into a stride, using Kylie's 'Can't Get You Out of my Head' and a piece of experimental music from several decades ago that Morley may have invented. But as Kylie drives to the glittering city in the 'Can't Get...' video she tries to decide whether Morley is the right person to write her autobiography, gives lifts to Cage and Satie and tries to overtake Kraftwerk who are driving a car ahead of her. Once Morley gets over the difficulty of trying to start the book (and after all Greil Marcus had the same difficulty, the first chapter of Lipstick Traces is awful nonsense) it does turn out to be interesting.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?