Thursday, November 13, 2003

Bah, there should be some sort of law against your friends meeting up for drinks when you can't make it. Anyway, I shall console myself with the knowledge that I'm nearly at the end of the week, then the weekend it's down to visit the parents and see my sister's new flat, and her boyf's birthday, which I finally managed to get a card for today... It's getting harder and harder to buy stuff for men that isn't in that booksCDsDVDsvideos area, if a clothes shop near you opens it's invariably for women with, if you're lucky, a men's section which is about the size of a matchbox. And now birthday cards, it's getting increasingly difficult to get cards that don't involve swearing and/or reference to sex or bodily parts (I'm sure that in a few years time the cleanest birthday card I can get my Mum would say "C*nt!" on the front in large letters and then have said orifice pop up when you open up the card, it plays 'happy birthday' if you tongue the cl*t), and for men you can almost forget it. It's as though the categories in the card shops are 'cards for people that involve sex', 'cards for people that involve drinking too much', 'cards for people that are uptight', which is not the case. If I wanted to buy something with pictures of naked people in it, I'd buy a jazz mag, if I wanted to give a gift that would involve swearing, I'd give them the Daily Mail.

A friend was astonished the other day that I had never seen The Great Escape or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, "what do you do at Christmas?" they said. Normally I argue with someone over which video/DVD we watch first. But anyway, I've got both of them out to watch from the library now as they may be called upon for parody duties in stories I'm working on at the moment.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?