Saturday, January 17, 2004

Came across John Sargent giving it large for Blackadder in the BBC's Big Rea- Best Sitcom thing. They've followed this with the last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth, which ends with everyone going over the top. Now, most of that episode isn't that good, it's amusing certainly but smacks too much of 'we have to waste time before the inevitable slaughter that everyone knows is coming', there's some nice turns but there was better stuff in the other episodes. However, along with most of the rest of the country I do believe the last five or so minutes of the show are amongst the most moving television moments EVER... All pretense falls away, everyone is aware that they are living their last few minutes, few seconds and they are about to die, horribly and needlessly. I think it was this episode that was one of the things that persuaded a young Flowers that war is always a cruel, stupid thing, that most 'necessary' wars are nothing of the sort and to distrust anyone who sends you to war especially if they say it is for the good of your country.

George: No, really, this is brave, splendid and noble! Sir?
Blackadder: Yes, Lieutenant?
George: I'm scared, sir.
Baldrick: I'm scared too, sir.
George: I mean, I'm the last of the tiddlywinking leapfroggers from the Golden Summer of 1914. I don't want to die. I'm really not overkeen on dying at all, sir.
Blackadder: How are you feeling, Darling?
Darling: Erm, not all that good, Blackadder -- rather hoped I'd get through the whole show; go back to work at Pratt & Sons; keep wicket for the Croydon gentlemen; marry Doris... Made a note in my diary on my way here. Simply says, "Bugger."
Blackadder: Well, quite.


That moment when you think they might have avoided everything, then Darling reveals that the current date is two years before the end of the war and then that's it...

Watching Jon Sargent's show we saw the rough unedited footage of the climactic final charge, to see the actors all collapse as though shot was very sad, even though two seconds later they all sat up and dusted themselves down.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?