Thursday, March 18, 2004

I'm about halfway through the novellette that I've now been working on for over a year. It's completely ridiculous and I've been struggling against writers block every damn step of the way. However, I think that's partly because the first half of the book is written in a 'realistic' tone, or at least the cod-'realism' of the English detective genre which I found difficult. I'm not particularly good at realism in my writing it would seem at the moment, I know in the last piece I did it was supposed to be about this shady wannabe gangster type, only I found it much more fun to write about the ultra-secret service agency he'd be drawn into conflict with, to the point where at the end of the first draft their role overwhelms his. When I get round to rewrites I'm going to have to beef his part up a bit. But thankfully the magical realism angle has now well and truly kicked in. There are two hurdles to a more smooth writing process. I need to visit the British Library (well, I don't think I need to, but my imagination seems to think it's important as my main character is visiting there for a chapter) and I also need to work out the book he reads while he's there. It's the hinge on which the whole story revolves and although I've got most of the rest of it pictured I've not worried too much about this until now.

Anyway, if you have any interest in what I'm writing, I've bunged a bit of it online and you can read it here.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?