Monday, May 31, 2004

Decided to go and walk around in London for the afternoon in the hopes of finding one of those portals to another dimension that all the other kids seem to find. I bought Walking London by Andrew Duncan two or three years ago, but realised last week that I'd only done seven or eight of the walks. Not so much through laziness but more not having the time or... umm, all right, partly through laziness although I would point out that of those eight I had done, I'd done each of them more than once, and now it's nine with todays walk.

I started at Tower Hill, then down to Saint Katharine's Dock, then along through Wapping and into Limehouse, through the churchyard of Saint Anne's Church before finishing at Westferry tube station.

It was a very hot day, surprisingly cool on the tube but I wasn't travelling in rush hour and I often find the underground takes a while to heat up when it's hot outside. I was also travelling back on the DLR and you know how I feel about the Docklands Light Railway. Most of the route, especially along Wapping High Street, had plenty of shade from the converted Wharf buildings and stores that lined the road. Wapping Old Stairs was a stairway that descended right into the Thames, with no gate to stop anyone from jumping into the river. I saw a duck, but sadly no ghosts.

All in all, a very pleasant excursion.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?