Friday, May 21, 2004

It's nearly the end of May! Blimey, where did the time go?

My sister's just emailed me to invite me to her wedding in August... next year. Talk about planning ahead. The thing is, though I hope for the best, by my reckoning, if she were to develop, shall we say, 'irreconcilable diferences' with her fella, based on her previous record it'll be about two months before the big day. I'm sure that won't happen though. My future-brother-in-law is a lovely bloke and was my Fourth-Year Friend at Junior School (not some dirty 'Biscuit Game' style ritual but someone who helped scared little First Years get used to being in 'the big school').

Watched Kill Bill Volume 1 last night. I'm not going to add to the masses of electrons already sacrificed discussing this, but I was impressed. Tarantino is like Nirvana, when he's not around you think back on his work and think 'yeah, that was good' but it's only when you sit down in front of it that you really remember that the guy does actually have a lot of talent. I believe he compared himself to DJ Shadow in an interview in the way his movies refer to and use lots of other movies, often quite blatantly. Watching the fight between the Bride and the Yakuza boys I was wondering whether Tarantino had intended to make it look like a good Matrix battle or whether that was an unintended side effect of them both referencing exactly the same movies and using the same stunt team.

And I like the mature Tarantino that doesn't insist on verbally referencing obscure tv shows or enemies from 30 year old Krull comics. And the compressed storytelling that was absent in the underrated Jackie Brown. So I'm interested to see where this all goes in Volume 2.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?