Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Alan Shore (James Spader): You're good when you get testy.
Denny Crane (The Shatner): Came easy today. My balls hurt.
Shore: [pause] Let's have that be the one and only time you tell me that.

I now love Boston Legal.

Less so Wonderfalls which started last week on Sky One and is impressive in spending the first twenty minutes or so of the first episode defiantly bringing nothing new to the table at all, dialogue from Buffy, camera moves from Angel/Las Vegas/All of the Law and Order stable, unnecessary sciencey shots from CSI. The overarching theme of a young girl forced somewhat unwittingly to do good deeds for people, well take your pick, but did Tru Calling make it beyond a season? I suppose Dead Like Me has proved to be inexplicably popular.

I suppose it's me, I mean, I'm twenty-eight so am at exactly the right age to appear as a teenager in an American fantasy TV show, but I'm losing the interest in watching them. Or perhaps lost. Maybe the reason I didn't like the last few seasons of Buffy was the daily soap of her disastrous life frequently overshadowed the fun elements that had hooked me at the start. But I've also always had a problem with these strands of genre TV specifically of the 'do good to others' type (as distinct from shows such as Buffy and Knight Rider or The Fugitive, the 'do good to others' have some blameless shmoe get a message, normally from God, to help other people, so Wonderfalls, Tru, that show where the guy got next day's newspaper, probably some others I've forgotten) and their brainless 'you know, if we were all nice to one another the world would be a great place!' routine. OK for a single show, but boring when you have to base a series on it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, James Spader is calling...

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?