Sunday, September 23, 2007


Henry Moore Exhibition at Kew Gardens
Originally uploaded by Loz Flowers
Yesterday I decided to take advantage of the mild Autumn weather and go and check out the exhibition of Henry Moore statues down at Kew Gardens. I'd never been there before, I knew little to nothing about Moore, it would be ideal.

I went in and, first things first, I've got to give kudos to Kew for providing a map for the public that is accurate and easy to use. I don't know why but most other institutions seem to think the public go to an exhibition intending only to see a proportion of what is on display, or they encourage visitors to use serendipity in finding the various statues, but we got a map, to scale, and every item was where the map said it would be, so I managed to see everything. Bravo to Kew for that.

With twenty-eight pieces in the Gardens I ended up following the paths just looking for the exhibits, it'll be a seperate trip if I want to explore the grounds down to the river bank, or visit the house or enormous greenhouse but that's okay. Now I've been there once I've more reason to go again.

As for the sculptures, I'm illiterate when it comes to art so all I can say is, I liked some more than others. Insightful huh? What was really annoying where the other people. Ignoring the parents who disregarded the signs asking people not to climb on the exhibits and let (or in some cases encouraged) their children to do just that, the number of times people trying to take photos were blocked by other people walking directly in front of them to fondle the sculptures or to take their own photos were beyond count. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that if you walk up from behind me, you can see I'm trying to take a picture, it's the height of bad manners to then come and stand right in front of me with your poxy cameraphone, as happened on several occasions.

Never mind that Kew seems to have taken a more sensible view of the whole photo thing than the Tate, why do so few people seem to bother paying attention to what the people around them are doing, or caring about it?

I really hate it when people make me sound like a Daily Mail leader column...

Labels: , , , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?